This week’s topic is Truth and Reality. Use the following prompts to guide your thinking. You may choose to address one of the prompts, to combine multiple prompts, or to create a response that addresses the topic without explicitly using one of the prompts.
An advanced response (level 4) will make a coherent statement on the topic in an engaging, well-written, clearly-organized response of sufficient length. An advanced response will also connect the topic to literature in some way.
1. Is it always easy to recognize what is real and what is not real? Create a list of Things That Are Real and another list of Things That Are Not Real.
2. Although people change their minds all the time, everyone has a group of ideas that he or she believes to be true. Create a list of at least five things you believe to be true. Choose one, and explain why you believe it is true.
3. People often say, “I will believe that when I see it.” Could something you see not be true? Explain.
4. Science-fiction and fantasy stories often feature unrealistic or impossible elements like talking animals and creatures from other worlds, yet many readers find these genres to be fascinating and profound. How can fiction tell the truth about the world?
5. Sometimes people decide that things in the world around us need to be changed. Choose one character from literature and explain how that person changed the “reality” around him or her.
Be creative and have fun! I always enjoy reading your blog posts, and I’m especially looking forward to this one. Don’t forget to include an image and two links, as always. Comment below when you’ve read the prompt.