Truth and Reality

February 26, 2012 | 17 Comments

Blog Topic for March 2, 2012

This week’s topic is Truth and Reality. Use the following prompts to guide your thinking. You may choose to address one of the prompts, to combine multiple prompts, or to create a response that addresses the topic without explicitly using one of the prompts.

An advanced response (level 4) will make a coherent statement on the topic in an engaging, well-written, clearly-organized response of sufficient length. An advanced response will also connect the topic to literature in some way.

Prompts:

1. Is it always easy to recognize what is real and what is not real? Create a list of Things That Are Real and another list of Things That Are Not Real.

2. Although people change their minds all the time, everyone has a group of ideas that he or she believes to be true. Create a list of at least five things you believe to be true. Choose one, and explain why you believe it is true.

3. People often say, “I will believe that when I see it.” Could something you see not be true? Explain.

4. Science-fiction and fantasy stories often feature unrealistic or impossible elements like talking animals and creatures from other worlds, yet many readers find these genres to be fascinating and profound. How can fiction tell the truth about the world?

5. Sometimes people decide that things in the world around us need to be changed. Choose one character from literature and explain how that person changed the “reality” around him or her.

Be creative and have fun! I always enjoy reading your blog posts, and I’m especially looking forward to this one. Don’t forget to include an image and two links, as always. Comment below when you’ve read the prompt.

17 Comments so far

1.    sierra on February 28, 2012 7:42 pm      

I don’t exactly know which of these to use, because I don’t quite know that I agree with any of them completly.

2.    Mrs. Ratti on February 28, 2012 8:01 pm      

That’s a great starting point. Explore what you agree and disagree with. Connect your discussion to a book that proves or disproves one of the prompts.

3.    Tori on February 29, 2012 8:29 pm      

I’m also stuck on which one to choose. I think i am going to choose, “3. People often say, “I will believe that when I see it.” Could something you see not be true? Explain.”. This seems easy to write about. Do we need to include a picture?
    Tori

4.    Mrs. Ratti on February 29, 2012 8:41 pm      

Yes Ma’am. Bonus points if you include a picture of something that can’t be seen. ;)

5.    Tori on February 29, 2012 8:42 pm      

So just a blank picture? haha! :)

6.    Addison on February 29, 2012 9:50 pm      

Good one Tori! haha But Mrs.Ratti I am going to be doing #3.

7.    jaqueline on March 1, 2012 5:44 pm      

Some of these promts were hard to choose. I think I will choose 4 because some of the books I’ve been reading lately are fantasy.

8.    sam on March 1, 2012 9:50 pm      

Hey,
    I read the prompt and I am doing number 3.

9.    T.C. on March 1, 2012 9:50 pm      

Mrs. Ratti, I like these responses but I believe I can write a better post about truth or reality without using a certain prompt.

10.    Mrs. Ratti on March 1, 2012 10:06 pm      

TC, go for it. I’m looking forward to reading it!

11.    Hannah on March 1, 2012 10:36 pm      

Okay so might I just say, I love the prompts. I had such a hard time deciding! I’m going to choose #3, but I may swerve off the path a little and take it into my own ideas like T.C. said, if that’s okay.

12.    Maddie on March 2, 2012 11:37 am      

Okay so I’m for sure doing “I will believe it when I see it.” Oh and I am going to make a picture on paint for it!

13.    Keyna on March 4, 2012 1:34 pm      

Sorry I’m so late, but I believe I’m going to do number four.

14.    art777 on March 4, 2012 7:32 pm      

I believe in everything and nothing. I believe in god but i cant see him. I dont believe in magic as illusions because anyone can be taught to be a magician. I saw that be proven last year. Sorry for the late response… I have been disorganized and not home and I need to take more responsibility:/

15.    Ali on March 5, 2012 6:09 pm      

Mrs. Ratti I think I will do number 3. Better late than never :)

16.    bradleyj on March 5, 2012 10:26 pm      

I read the prompt and yeah what Ali said!

17.    tiavin on March 7, 2012 12:12 pm      

Sorry Mrs. Ratti things have been crazy with my computer. I will be doing number 3 and I also might get off track with my own ideas. Sorry so late! :/

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind